Hurt in a Motorcycle Crash? NJ Personal Injury Lawyer Works to Get You Maximum Compensation for Your Injuries
It shouldn’t be much of a surprise that as motorcycle riding becomes more and more popular throughout Bergen, Passaic and Middlesex counties in New Jersey, accident statistics are escalating. A motorcycle crash can happen at any time, for many reasons including poor weather conditions, road hazards and, often, the negligent behavior of other drivers on the road.
If you or your loved one has been injured or worse, killed, in a motorcycle accident, you need to have an experienced personal injury lawyer on your team. The lawyers at Sheffet & Dvorin have represented countless people who have been injured in motorcycle accidents in Dover, Randolph and Elmwood Park. We will hold the negligent parties responsible and fight to get you the maximum compensation for your injuries.
Common Reasons for Motorcycle Accidents & Injuries
No one wants to be in an accident, especially a motorcyclist. However, the numbers related to bike crashes are climbing, according to the Federal Highway Authority. Incidents of motorcycle accidents are up in NJ; in 2012, there were around 2,500 motorcycle crashes on NJ roadways.
Further, it’s understandable that motorcycle crashes can be far more dangerous than an accident between two cars. By virtue of its smaller size and weight, coupled with the fact that a motorcyclist doesn’t have the protection of a few thousand pounds of metal surrounding them, accidents involving motorcycles often end in fatalities. In fact, according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) motorcyclists are 30 times more likely to die in a bike crash than occupants in a car in a similar accident. Here are the major reasons motorcycle accidents occur:
- Hazardous Roadway Conditions: Bad weather, potholes, slick substances on the pavement, stranded motorists, etc., can all be accidents waiting to happen for motorcyclists. When a rider loses control of his bike, serious injuries can occur.
- Other Drivers on the Road: Drivers of cars, trucks, buses, and taxes often fail to see motorcyclists sharing the roadway with them. Bikes can easily disappear into a vehicle’s “blind spot” because of their smaller size.
- Defective Motorcycle: While bikes should be well-maintained to promote maximum safety, it’s not unusual for something to break or become defective. A problem with the motorcycle, such as faulty brakes, can be catastrophic.
Interesting Motorcycle Accidents Facts
The New Jersey Department of Transportation has collected some interesting data regarding motorcycle crashes in New Jersey. Knowledge is power. If you are a bike rider, wear protective gear and follow all traffic laws. Further, be aware of these facts so you can avoid situations where the likelihood of a motorcycle accident is increased.
- Over 50 percent of motorcycle accidents happen at intersections
- Corners are ripe for motorcycle accidents; 40 percent of crashes occur on a turn
- More than 2/3 of accidents are the result of speeding
- A car driver’s failure to see a motorcycle on the road accounts for over two-thirds of bike crashes
- Unlicensed bike riders cause more crashes than any other population of people. In fact, 22% of fatal motorcycle accidents involve a rider who didn’t have a legal license to ride a bike.
Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation about Your Motorcycle Accident
You can rely on the experienced personal injury lawyers at Sheffet & Dvorin to work with skilled investigators to piece together what happened in your NJ motorcycle accident and hold the guilty parties responsible for the injuries you have sustained. You can help by obtaining the contact information for any and all witnesses, taking photographs of the scene, if possible, and obtaining the accident report as soon as possible.
Call us right away so we can get started preparing your case. We will work hard to get you the maximum compensation for your injuries. In the case of a wrongful death, you can rely on our compassionate attorneys to be by your side every step of the way.