False Imprisonment

A Statement from Sheffet & Dvorin, PC regarding death of George Floyd

We at Sheffet & Dvorin, PC are Civil Rights lawyers who condemn any form of racism or police excessive use of force. Our mission is to achieve justice for anyone who believes their Civil Rights have been violated. We also condemn any oppression of any minority, race or religion and will fight for better days in this country where all are treated equally.

Bergen County, Essex County, Middlesex County, Morris County, Passaic County, Union County Civil Rights Lawyers

The Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution requires states to provide for the equal protection of persons within their respective jurisdictions and to give due process any time state action could adversely affect life, liberty, or property. In addition, federal law 42 U.S.C. Section 1983 (Civil Action for the Deprivation of Rights) permits a plaintiff to receive a jury trial and to be awarded damages including their attorney fees where state action is responsible for a violation of federal constitutional or statutory rights. These laws that are controlling throughout every state in the United States as the “law of the land” provide specific protection against governmental actors for false imprisonment of citizens.

Sometimes public entities while carrying out their police powers have police officers who falsely imprison people and act inappropriately, and cause citizens to sustain personal injury and economic damages. These citizens may need the help of a lawyer familiar with this area of the law to right a wrong.

Sheffet & Dvorin, PC has many years of experience representing individuals and businesses in Civil Rights false imprisonment cases. The United States and New Jersey state Constitutions provide all residents with inalienable rights. Pursuant to Federal and New Jersey governmental entities and their employees are not immune from violating these rights. Police Officers and other public officials must enforce the laws of the state and nation equally, and without any discriminatory intent or application including without falsely imprisoning people.

At Sheffet & Dvorin, PC we welcome the opportunity to file lawsuits against both public entities and their employees if they falsely imprison someone in violation of the law. We have substantial expertise in litigating civil rights false imprisonment claims since Mr. Sheffet has almost three decades of experience defending public entities in Civil Rights actions and general negligence claims. Mr. Sheffet has also served as the Borough Attorney for a public entity, the Borough of Roseland, and as Prosecutor for the Township of Verona. Therefore, Mr. Sheffet understands the way governmental entities operate and understands the criminal procedure and processes necessary to navigate to determine if there has been a false imprisonment. At Sheffet & Dvorin, PC we fight hard to protect the rights and interests of our clients, and to make their lives, and everyone in society better. Our attorneys have successfully fought for the rights of citizens and businesses.

If you are the victim of a Civil Rights violation including false imprisonment you should immediately contact our firm to determine your legal rights and remedies. Often, if not always, federal law provides that the party or parties guilty of violating your Civil Rights is or are responsible for paying your legal fees and case costs. This law exists to make sure that Civil Rights are not violated and when they are that the affected individual or party has immediate redress without the need for worrying about how expensive attorney fees and costs will be paid.

Have Your Been Falsely Imprisoned? Contact a Bergen County, Essex County, Middlesex County, Morris County, Passaic County, Union County Civil Rights Attorney for a Free Consultation

Each public entity is different and we believe each potential claim should be reviewed carefully. The civil rights attorneys of Sheffet & Dvorin, PC will answer your questions and help you understand your options for filing a claim against a governmental agency or other public entity. Contact us to learn more.