5 Things To Do If You Get Into A Car Accident in New Jersey
Car accidents happen to everyone – including people who don’t have cars! Getting hit by a car is bad enough, but when you see the price of the medical bills and the lack of income due to time off from work to recuperate, it gets even worse. Luckily, there are things you can do to lessen the financial blow and also hold the person who hit you accountable for what they have done. If you get into a car accident, make sure to do these things in order to help you with your court case.
- Get the other person’s information. Make sure that they give you their name, address, insurance policy, phone number and the information about their car. If they bolt before they give you information, it’s considered to be a hit-and-run.
- As soon as you are in the crash, call 911. Get a copy of the police report and make sure that every little detail is filled out. You also should call your insurance company and give them notice about the accident.
- Take photos – a lot of them. You want to get a photo of every angle of your car and theirs for court and insurance purposes. If you have been hurt in the car accident, it’s crucial to try to take photos of the injuries that you sustained. If your airbags deployed, take a photo of that, too.
- Were there any witnesses? If there were, try to get their information along with a written statement. These can help determine who was at fault in the accident and also can help determine whether there were any other parties that can be held responsible for the crash.
- Get the bills and copy them. You will likely have medical bills, car repair bills and other bills that you will have to take care of following an accident. In order to make things easier when it comes to court judgments, it’s best to collect all the bills and put them in a single file as soon as you can.
Many car accident court cases don’t end up with settlements as large as they could be, simply because there is not as much evidence as there would need to be in order to award more. If you or a loved one are in a car accident, call the skilled attorneys at Sheffet and Dvorin for a free consultation about your personal injury case.